Did you enjoy making the Vanilla Reef cookies and want another recipe to try? Look no further: Emma Elley has provided a recipe for mince pies. As always, send us your photos.
The jIAPS Editor-in-Chief has tried this recipe and the mince pies are delicious! Allow at least two hours to make and cook the mince pies. I managed to make 26 mince pies from this recipe.
Mince pie recipe (not the traditional recipe)
Jar of mincemeat (about 600g) (the sweet type made from raisins, for which you may need to look up a recipe if you can’t buy it in a shop)
200g plain flour
175g ground almonds
260g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
1 large egg
A pot of glace cherries
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground cloves
- Rub the butter into the flour and ground almonds along with the spices.
- Add the sugar and the beaten egg and mix together.
- Roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter to make rounds.
- Lay the rounds into a cupcake tray and chill for 10 mins. Preheat the oven to 220 °C/200 °C fan/ Gas mark 7.
- Meanwhile chop the cherries and satsuma segments and mix into the mincemeat.
- Fill the pastry rounds with the mincemeat mixture.
- Top each with flaked almonds and then bake for 15-20 mins.
- Dust the mince pies with icing sugar just before serving.