ICPS Worldwide Grant
– Grant for physics students from around the world to attend the International Conference of Physics Students –
The International Association of Physics Students (IAPS) invites you to select an academically gifted and deserving student, currently undertaking studies in physics or related disciplines at your faculty and submit an application for the ICPS Worldwide Grant. The student can be given the chance to attend the International Conference of Physics Students (ICPS) held every year in August.
This is a conference that has been held in a different city or country annually since 1986 with over 400 participants attending each year. The participation is a great chance to learn about physics in an international context and to establish connections to fellow students from around the world. ICPS consists as every scientific conference of guest lectures of renowned physicists, student lectures by the participants and a poster session. Besides the academic programme, ICPS puts great effort into intercultural dialogue and community, thus having various social events, including the so-called National Party, where the participants are expected to show the cuisine of their home. It is also the host of the General Meeting of IAPS and one or more workshops centred around subjects that interest the physics student community.
With the grant we are willing to support the student with the conference fee and 80% of the travel costs up to a maximum of €1000 per grant. The rest of the travel expenses and fees should be provided by the university or by the student themselves. The grant will be post-financed, which means the costs will be reimbursed after the conference.
There will be only two grants available and they are awarded on a competitive basis. Please note that priority will be given to applicants from outside of Europe and with financial hardship.
The selected student must meet the following requirements in order to receive the grant:
- Student of physics or related discipline (at any stage of study), aged lower than 26 years of age
- Must be selected from the top 10% of the class
The application for this grant should include:
- Motivational letter from the student
- Transcript of study records
- Student’s curriculum vita (CV) or resume
- Photocopy of passport
- Recommendation letter from a senior university staff member
- Preliminary abstract for the short student lecture that will be presented at ICPS 2012
- Documents certifying financial background (optional)
If any of the above requirements are missing then the grant application cannot be considered.
In order to be guaranteed the grant, the selected successful student applicant will be expected to
- Registerfor the conference at the annually designated website
- Present a lecture or a poster at ICPS. The topic of the lecture must be related to physics.
- Attend the conference for the whole duration of the event, including the Annual General Meeting, and any possible workshops
If the student does not comply with these rules, IAPS may decide to desist from paying the grant.
All official documents submitted for the application must be inEnglish or German or French. The official documents in the original language must also be submitted in copy in addition to the translated documents. All applications have to be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org as a pdf file.
For more detailed information, please contact the Executive Committee at email@example.com.
Specifics of current grant cycle:
The deadline for applications is 31 March 2012! Any late submissions will not be accepted. The selected students will be notified by 30 April 2012.
ICPS 2012 will be held in Utrecht, Netherlands from 4th to 10th of August. For more information and the registration form please visit: www.icps2012.com.
Full details: pdf